Monday, October 8, 2012

New Boots

I mentioned in this post that I had started budgeting recently, and this had driven me to prioritize my clothing "wish list" a little more than I used to. With my October clothing budget, one of my major priorities was to get a new pair of brown/tan knee-high boots. The pair you can see here and here was beginning to get a little worn-out and scuffed, so I wanted to get a nice new pair, assuming I could find a good deal. I did, and here are my new boots in action:


I hadn't initially planned to wear these today, but it was so chilly this morning that I decided to debut the boots instead of going with the flats I'd intended to wear. These burgundy skinnies had only been worn once so far this year, which surprises me given how much I already love them. The blouse is a great favorite of mine - the cream is a warmer tone than a pure white, and the bow at the neckline is a nice embellishment.


For the sake of modesty - as in, not having my pants fall down to my ankles at a moment's notice - I added a tan braided belt. The necklace has brown, copper, and a light teal, and I liked that pop of a contrasting color with the rest of the outfit. Sometimes people who aren't very confident in their fashion choices get stuck thinking that everything in an outfit needs to match, but that's not true. As many fashion experts are fond of saying, "It doesn't have to match; it has to GO." And people who don't understand fashion are probably tempted to respond with something like, "What in the name of all things chic is that supposed to mean?" Basically, it means that you can bring in a new color, as long as it doesn't clash with the rest of the outfit - it doesn't need to match, it just has to not MISmatch.


So... what's the verdict on my new boots? Thumbs up? Or should I have prioritized them lower on my wish list?


Get the look for yourself:
Blouse - Target; similar here.
Skinnies - New York and Company; similar here.
Boots - Amazon.com, available here.
Belt - Target, available here.
Necklace - Target; similar here.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love those! I'm legitimately considering them, although I think I'm going to continue saving up for cowboy boots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I boots ... SIGH. :) Bren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, it was supposed to read I "heart" boots, but something got lost in the tech-translation ... derp. :) Bren Again

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like that necklace and those boots. Please and thank you. -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boots! Hooray! They are a great choice, I get so many compliments on them! And they practically go with everything! I would say if you're wanting to add one thing to your fall wardrobe, tall brown boots are a great choice. I really love this outfit! And I loved reading your interpretation of "going vs. matching". Not matching is super in style now anyway!

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outfit. Any tips on making tucked-in blouses work? Mine always pull out and/or look puffy and weird.

    ReplyDelete