Thursday, October 11, 2012

New Statement Necklace

Another one of my October budget purchases was this fabulous new necklace:



This kind of necklace is usually referred to as a "statement necklace." Outfits have to be carefully planned to showcase a statement piece like this, as they need to be almost entirely neutral to keep the focus on the jewelry. I wanted a light top so that the blue would stand out more strongly, and I wore simple black skinnies on the bottom. My black Mary-Jane shoes kept the whole thing casual and understated.



So what do you think of the necklace? They're very "in" right now, and available in many colors at many locations...

The next day's outfit was not centered around one piece, however, so a number of pieces got to work together to create a great - in my opinion - look:



I did have some problems with the fact that my pants kept falling down through the day. I've lost a little weight lately, which is nice and all, but it's making some of my clothing options a bit... less than ideal. Once I was at school, I realized choosing a different belt and actually wearing it to hold up the pants would have been better than wearing the skinny black belt around my waist to nip the cardigan.



Upon looking at the pictures, I feel like I look a bit like a ringmaster at a circus, but not necessarily in a bad way. I suspect the outfit would have worked better with black pants than these cream-colored ones, but after Clarence Ford's comment on yesterday's post, I felt like maybe I should wear lighter colors.



SO... Which outfit do you like better? The statement necklace? Or the ringmaster ensemble?


Get the look for yourself:
Black skinnies - Gap, available here.
Blouse - Target; similar here.
Shoes - Payless, available here.
Necklace - Amazon, available here.
Ivory skinnies - Express; similar here.
Top - Target, available here.
Cardigan - Target, available here.
Belt - Amazon, available here.
Boots - Payless; similar here.

5 comments:

  1. Somehow I can't decide which is better! (Yes, I know I offered such a great opinion)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, the blogger necklace! This is literally THE necklace of everyone's blog these days! I am in desperate need of a statement necklace. It makes just about everything fab, including your white shirt! Understated, and classy.

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accessories are a department where I'm nigh-on clueless, so I admire you for wearing something bold. I think I like the first outfit better, but mostly because I'm not a big fan of Ugg-like boots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely have more fashion knowledge than I do, without a doubt. But I dislike the fact that you are always explaining and critiquing your own outfits without explicitly mentioning fashion advice for us. I understand that this is your blog, and you are the one that dresses up, but general advice (within a student's budget) concerning your current outfit would be beneficial. (e.g. Pair a ______ with a ______ for this stylized look.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a similar necklace and wish I could wear it more but never know what to put with it... I'll definitely be watching to see how you wear yours! -Andrea

    ReplyDelete