Monday, October 22, 2012

BUSY Gets the Best of Me

I don't want this blog to die out, but there are times when work and life take precedence. Sad, I know, but true. I have outfits from Thursday, Friday, Sunday, and today to go through, so this'll be as succinct as I can make it. Y'all forgive me, right?
_______________________________________

Thursday's outfit was very boring, but it was a good outfit in terms of fit and color:




Sadly, I actually don't have anything much to say about this outfit. Cap sleeves are flattering, as is the wide neckline with a slight V-dip. And... um... Yeah, like I said, boring.
_______________________________________  

Friday was a staff in-service day, so we were allowed to go a little more casual:



I threw this outfit together at the last moment when I woke up, so I think I'm lucky it worked out as well as it did. These are my grubbier jeans, but I felt like the lighter wash would work better with the darker blue top. The top is from Target (available here), and I think it would almost always be better with a belt. (The only time I might consider leaving it loose would be with super-skinny pants and boots.) The creamy white belt breaks up the blue colors together, and also ties in the flowered headband.


Overall, I'd call it a win.
_______________________________________ 

I'll skip ahead to today's outfit before talking about Sunday, so we can stay on the "normal" clothes before jumping into semi-formal-wear.



I love chilly fall days, and I love the rain, so I was excited about today's weather. My rust orange sweater is a favorite of mine. I wore a white cami underneath and allowed it to hang below the sweater. I tend to prefer three colors in my clothes more than two (reference above where I referred to my red-and-black outfit as "boring"), so I like the extra strip of white in between the black pants and orange sweater. Along with my black skinnies, I wore my new tan boots, and I was so comfy.


The only thing I wished I'd had was a pair of boot socks, like these:

Available here.

They're on my November "wish list," so I'll have them soon, don't worry.
_______________________________________ 

 Last, but not least, let's look at my outfit for the Gala Sunday night:




Okay, if you've been reading for a while and paying attention, you can probably explain to me most of the reasons this dress is a great choice:
  1. The color is a rich jewel tone, warm and vibrant.
  2. The dress comes in with ruched material right at the narrowest part of the waist/ribs.
  3. The skirt hugs the hips nicely, but modestly, emphasizing the hourglass figure.
  4. The hem hits just at the knee, not too long and stumpifying.
I decided to go for a Mad Men kind of look, so I chose pearl and diamond accessories with my necklace, earrings, bracelet, and ring. Silver strappy shoes completed the basic ensemble.


This kind of semi-formal outfit really needs a clutch purse, rather than something with straps, so I chose my gray one to match the silver in the shoes.



I ADORE this coat. I wish I had more opportunities to wear it, although it might not feel as special if I did. Every time I get to wear it, I feel so glamorous and old-school gorgeous. With my hair up in a twist with loose strands around my face, the pearl necklace, and this retro-style coat, I completely felt like a classy lady from the 1940's:


LOVE it.
_______________________________________

So, there we have four outfits for you. Which was your favorite? You can reassure me that you forgive my long absence by answering in the comments...

10 comments:

  1. I can actually see myself wearing the first outfit -haha. I guess I didn't realize how popular the headband with attached accessory was. I went to a banquet saturday night and a lot of the girls were wearing them. I really like your orange sweater and yes, those boots are AMAZING. I wouldn't mind having a pair myself :D
    And you looked SO PRETTY at the gala! You're coat is so cool too. I didn't even see it on sunday so I'm glad you posted your photos on this blog ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! Especially that last picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where the f did you get that jacket?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is your Gala outfit! :) You looked GORGEOUS, and I love that coat! I'm jelly...

    -Anna Moreno

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love purple and I love retro -- gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Want. Coat. Now. -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the outfits and my gorgeous BFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogging is one of those things that always gets thrown in with busy life somehow! Love that cozy orange-rust sweater and it's perfect with the boots! Also your gala look is just fabulous...that purple is my favorite color for formal dresses. And that coat is gorgeous!

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you missed one feature of the Thursday outfit, and that is that the gathering at the neckline creates vertical lines and folds in the blouse that simultaneously lengthen and create shadows that are slimming and create gradations in tone. Simple, yes in fact, but more nuanced than you give it credit for.

    And bravo on the Gala outfit! An elegant look we readers seldom see in the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that first red top!!!! It's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete