Sunday, October 14, 2012

Casual Tips, Per Request

Well, "Clarence Ford," whoever you are, here is a post dedicated to you. First, I'd like to say a few things about posts I've written in the past, because I think you may have missed a few things. Then, I will move on to a few targeted comments and pics for this post.

In your most recent comment you said, "I dislike the fact that you are always explaining and critiquing your own outfits without explicitly mentioning fashion advice for us. I understand that this is your blog, and you are the one that dresses up, but general advice (within a student's budget) concerning your current outfit would be beneficial. (e.g. Pair a ______ with a ______ for this stylized look.)" I think this indicates, however, a lack of close reading on your part, if we examine some past posts:

From August 23: "Combining loose tops with loose skirts makes the entire outfit seem like baggy and – let’s be honest – a little bit like you’re wearing a discarded circus tent. And combining fitted tops with fitted bottoms will, in most cases, just look cheap and trashy. Finding the right balance is important."
Summary: Pair fitted tops with looser bottoms, and vice versa.

From August 27: "Now, wide-leg pants can be dangerous, but white wide-leg pants can be especially dangerous, as there is a very real possibility of making yourself look larger than you are, especially around the hips and thighs. That's why it has to be paired with something fitted and flattering on the top."
Summary: Pair wide-leg pants (especially if they're white) with fitted, flattering tops.

From August 28: "Sticking mostly with neutrals - especially black and white, which is a classic combo - can sometimes seem too boring without some bright spot to liven it up. The easiest way to do a pop of color is usually with the shoes or the purse; if you want a heavier 'pop,' you can do both shoes and purse. (I hear you all gasping in amazement.) Other accessories you can use to add color to an outfit include scarves, hats, and belts."
Summary: Add a pop of color to a neutral outfit to avoid the "blah" phenomenon.

From September 13: "Look for pieces/items that accentuate the narrowest part of your waist to flatter your figure the most.
AND "Look for v-neck shirts, blouses, and dresses to elongate the neck line and slim the face.
AND "Find pieces that hit you at the right places for your body type, whatever that is."
Summary: Accentuate the waist, elongate the neck, and dress for your body.

From September 19: "Peplum, because of its placement, draws the eye to the waist and creates a wider look at the hips, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your body shape. For hourglass figures (which is what I have), it is great, because extending the hips out from the body makes the waist look narrower by comparison, and makes the 'hourglass' even more defined. If you have a 'pear' shape, however - larger hips and a smaller waist and bust - the peplum will only exaggerate the hips and exacerbate the natural imbalance."
Summary: If you have an hourglass figure, peplum will look good on you; if you have a pear shape, it will not.

From September 30: "In retrospect, I wish I'd chosen a long necklace rather than this shorter one; longer necklaces elongate the body, and I could have used that given the way I put this outfit together."
AND "See, this outfit, with the top of the skirt hitting significantly lower than my natural waist, shortens my frame considerably - in fact, I shortened it even further by putting a sash two inches even further below the top of the skirt, meaning I created a visual waistline about six to eight inches below my natural waist."
Summary: Long necklaces elongate the body, but creating a visual waistline way below your natural one stumpifies your body.

From October 2: "It's a very flattering cut, coming in at the narrowest part of the ribcage and then flaring out to an a-line skirt hitting just above the knee. Ties come from the waistline to cinch around the back and create an hourglass shape."
Summary: Dresses that cinch at or just above the waist and flare out to an A-line skirt are flattering. (Implication: You should consider buying those kind of dresses.)

From October 4: "I added a maroon lace-edged camisole under the blouse, partially for modesty (though I could have just buttoned the shirt up to the top), but more to add another color to the outfit besides just white and black; I think it worked well breaking up the otherwise block-y color palette."
Summary: Add colored camis under neutral-colored shirts to break up an otherwise color-blocked outfit (e.g. black-and-white).

From October 8: "Sometimes people who aren't very confident in their fashion choices get stuck thinking that everything in an outfit needs to match, but that's not true. As many fashion experts are fond of saying, 'It doesn't have to match; it has to GO.' And people who don't understand fashion are probably tempted to respond with something like, 'What in the name of all things chic is that supposed to mean?' Basically, it means that you can bring in a new color, as long as it doesn't clash with the rest of the outfit - it doesn't need to match, it just has to not MISmatch."
Summary: It doesn't have to match; it has to "go" with the rest of the outfit.

From October 11: "Outfits have to be carefully planned to showcase a statement piece like this, as they need to be almost entirely neutral to keep the focus on the jewelry."
Summary: Show off a statement piece by surrounding it with neutrals.

As you can see, there are at least 10 posts there with at least one piece of "fashion advice" per post. Plus, this post about accessories and this post about wearing t-shirts and jeans are pretty much entirely dedicated to fashion advice. And while most of my posts may not come out and directly say, "DO THIS," when I talk about why I chose things, you can read and draw inferences about what you should consider doing for yourself.

That all said, I will try to make it more obvious when I am giving advice, and I will try to talk more often about casual outfits to give advice that students could use.
____________________________________________

This is the outfit I wore on Friday, when I took a personal day from school to spend the day with my mom and sister, visiting from out of town:



As you can see, I'm wearing jeans, which makes this a non-work outfit for me and a plausible outfit for students. (Well, female students. Sorry, boys, but there is not really any fashion advice in this blog for you. "Clarence" - I've been assuming you're female...) I started with my favorite pair of skinny jeans, my new boots, and a well-loved long-sleeved tee:



Important tips for you to keep in mind about this outfit:
  1. Skinny jeans work great with boots, and boots work well with skinnies. It's a very fashionable and practical pairing for chilly fall weather. The reason it is flattering to wear skinnies and boots is because the boots add a bit of width at the bottom of the legs, which helps to balance out the greater width of the hips (as compared to the narrowing in as the thighs taper towards the knees).
  2. Dark wash jeans are more flattering than light wash, and because skinny jeans have more chance of showing extra weight than baggier jeans would, it's important to offset that with the darker color blue. Dark wash jeans also work better with tan or light brown boots. (Medium washes are better with black boots, though dark washes will still be fine.)
  3. Long-sleeved tees follow the same rules as short-sleeved in terms of fit, so make sure it fits and isn't too baggy through the torso and/or sleeves.
  4. With a fitted tee, you can afford to have the hem of the tee hit below the hips, untucked. If it were looser, it would be more important for it to hit no lower than the hips, and preferably closer to the waist of the jeans, because baggy + long = tent-like.
Because it was particularly chilly where we were going, I added both a scarf and a faux-leather jacket. It's important to note that I purposely chose a shorter jacket - hitting around the waist - to offset the longer shirt (BALANCE), and I purposely chose a darker brown scarf to avoid having my entire outfit blend together. It's one thing to wear shades of brown, but you want to avoid being awash in all of the same shade.



So, hopefully those tips will help some of you female students out there put together some cute "jeans and boots" outfits this fall.


Get the look for yourself:
Jeans - Target, available here.
Shirt - Target; similar here.
Jacket - New York and Company, available here. (Similar, but cheaper, here.)
Scarf - gift; similar here.
Boots - Amazon, available here.

8 comments:

  1. i need more boots...

    i think you give plenty of fashion advice! i would be lying if i said i remembered everything or just what i wanted to, but i'm glad you made this blog regardless of your words of wisdom. I find fashion very interesting though I am not one for fashion (for the most part)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know what this Clarence person is talking about, because I'm always learning new (and applicable)tips from you :) Especially about accessories-I have learned that I really need to improve my accessory wardrobe...
    -Anna M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarence don't know what's It!
    I'ma at him with these shoes, then he'll really how up!
    http://i.imgur.com/vpNP6.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute & autumnal. I'm looking forward to cooler weather as an excuse to wear more scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly appreciate your effort into compiling all your fashion tips into one post. I just don't have that keen eye to fish out those tips embedded within your blog posts. I probably was not thinking creatively to conjure up outfits based on your guidelines. In the future, I hope I am capable to dress myself with respect to how I wish to express myself. I am grateful for your dedication (in the context your current post and the entire blog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was a little misunderstanding, I am female (even though my name may speak for itself). My parents divorced around the time of my birth, and my dad, which I admit is a little strange, decided to keep the name. Unfortunately, my mom had little jurisdiction over the whole case. In the future, you can just call me Claire.

      Delete
  6. Well that was weird, haters gonna hate, I guess. I had someone leave a really mean comment on my blog once! I guess this was constructive criticism. I actually liked reading your summary of lessons all in one place! There's some great, applicable tips there. And perfect formula for your personal day outfit!

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete