Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What I've Been Wearing

High on the list of "Things I Always Forget Until The New School Year Starts" is how very exhausting it is. I have been like a zombie by the end of each day so far. Yikes!

That said, I am really enjoying all my students, so hooray!

What have I been wearing, though?! That's what this blog is all about! Let's look first at what I wore on Monday, which was the all important Picture Day, as well as New Student Orientation, at which I was asked to speak briefly. Because of that, I wanted to make sure I looked very professional:




Whoever recommended the green shirt, thanks for the thought! I opted to wear it on this day so that it would bring out the green in my eyes and the red highlights in my hair for my yearbook picture. I opted for a patterned skirt instead of solid to avoid having a solid-heavy look. I liked the overall effect, and was happy with this outfit. So now, on to...

THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL:




So, this is a plug for experimenting with your clothes. It occurred to me on a whim to try putting a button-down shirt under my red dress. In some ways, yes, having a strict dress code can be hard.

...

I know, you're like, "WHAT? Did a TEACHER just admit the DRESS CODE is a CHALLENGE?!" Yes, I did. 

I get it - the dress code can be annoying sometimes. There are a lot of things I'd like to wear that I'm not allowed to, and that can be frustrating. But I understand most of the rules, and why we have them, and the ones I disagree with, I follow because I am obedient to those in authority over me.

But every once in a while, a challenging dress code can be almost inspiring. "Necessity is the mother of invention," or so says a centuries-old proverb, and in this case, it's true. I had to find a way to make this sleeveless dress TKA-appropriate, and I think I came up with something that looked really good. I liked the owl necklace with it, though in retrospect, I think different shoes would have worked better - probably a pair of black mid-height pumps.

Day 2:




This patterned wrap dress was an easy, comfortable choice for the second day of school. In case it doesn't come across well, it is navy and a taupe-color, and I paired it with nude flats. The pattern, as well as the pull of the bow on the side, is all very figure-flattering, which of course I like, but I think my favorite part was how comfy it was to wear. The bracelet was a Europe purchase this summer, and it was almost the exact same color as the taupe in the dress, which worked great.

SO... what do you think? Did I do well?

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! You look beautiful in today's dress- I wish I had dropped by to compliment you in person! I like all the outfits for this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wrap dress as well. I can't see your eyes in the earlier pictures, but the green is nice, and I agree that more solid shoes might have balanced the long-sleeve-under-dress combo (I'm impressed how smooth it looks; I often have trouble with wrinkles/lumps when I wear collared shirts under things). Good luck with the start of school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look like Ellen Page the actress :D
    (I think she's gorgeous so please take that as a compliment)
    I love your Orientation Day shoes, where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Ellen Page, so thank you!

    The shoes are from Cathy Jean. Sadly, I bought them a number of seasons ago, so I don't know what their offerings are now, but there you go. :)

    ReplyDelete