Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Brown and Black

Before I get to answering the reader-submitted question from the last post, I'll show Monday's outfit:



The skirt is another Mrs. Toth hand-me-down, and I got tons of compliments on it through the day. I like that it is fitted around the waist and flares nicely at the ends. It could be worn with all sorts of different color combos, but for the debut, I kept it with simple black. For the chilly weather, I added a denim jacket:



We like?
________________________________________

Okay, on the last post, an anonymous commenter asked the following question:

"When is it ok to wear black and brown and when is it not ok?"

The answer, honestly, is that there is no real answer. But I understand that that isn't really helpful. So here is the general rule by which I dress myself:

If it looks good, wear it.

Isn't that a horrifically annoying answer? But it's the accurate answer. If it works, then go with it - don't worry about what rules you might or might not be breaking. Generally, you're better off choosing browns that are on the lighter side, because if the colors are too close together, they're more likely to clash. Note the light brown sweater I wore Tuesday with black pants:


If the sweater were a darker brown, it would be too similar to the black in the pants. Same with the boots I wore in last week's "trendy" outfit - a nice tan color, rather than dark brown.

So there's your answer! And for good measure, here are some more pics from Tuesday, showcasing my brand new leopard-print flats, which had been on my wish list for a while now:




Happy Thanksgiving, friends! For right now, I am thankful for all of you, my readers, who keep making me feel like maybe my clothes are interesting to someone besides me. :)

3 comments:

  1. When is it ok to wear pink with orange and green? Does it have to be pitch black, or is it ok to wear these colors even in lighting dim enough to activate rod cells but not cone cells? Thanks in advance for your answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *0* I love your monday outfit...why didn't I see it! I should drop by every day just so I don't have to wait for the pictures. Thanks for the advice on black and brown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, another Mrs. Toth winner! Love getting hand-me-downs from people, even though I've grown up with it my whole life!

    I agree with you on the brown/black thing (no, your answer is not annoying!). I used to never ever wear brown and black together, but I think the main thing is that if you're gonna do it, you have to really go for it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a brown sweater and black pants, it's just the classic black shoes/brown belt that would drive me crazy. Otherwise, all's fair in love and fashion


    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete