Sunday, September 30, 2012

Geo Print Maxi Skirt

Well, I ended up too sick to go to school on Thursday, so no, Kammy, I didn't wear red and black to finish the primary colors trio. (Actually, I wore all black, but that's just because my sweatpants and sweatshirt happened to be black.) Forcing myself back to school on Friday - though I really could've used another day to recoup - I looked for a skirt for Maxi Dress Friday, and came up with this one:


Sadly, just based on my maxi skirt options, whatever I chose would have to include black, either in choosing a black skirt, or in choosing a black top to go with a skirt. In some ways, actually, the blue print on bottom with the black shirt on top is a nice flip-flop from Wednesday's outfit. The top is really just a black t-shirt, but it's nicely fitted to keep it from looking too casual for wearing to work, and with a maxi skirt it's dressier than with pants or capris.


I wanted some kind of line at the waist, so I added a simple black sash. For shoes, I needed flats - since the skirt isn't long enough for heels - but didn't want to wear just ordinary flip-flops. As I said in an earlier post, these sandals are "nice enough (because of the faux jewels on the front strap)" to still look good at school. In retrospect, I wish I'd chosen a long necklace rather than this shorter one; longer necklaces elongate the body, and I could have used that given the way I put this outfit together.

See, this outfit, with the top of the skirt hitting significantly lower than my natural waist, shortens my frame considerably - in fact, I shortened it even further by putting a sash two inches even further below the top of the skirt, meaning I created a visual waistline about six to eight inches below my natural waist. Remember how I created the word "stumpify" in an earlier post? Yeah, this outfit is a good pictorial definition of that word.



I am lucky, however, in that because I am naturally tall, but even more so because I have very long legs, I can afford to stumpify myself and still look pretty normal. Shorter gals out there? Sorry, but you have pretty much no leeway whatsoever for stumpifying, so you have to be on guard against stumpification at all times. We taller girls have a bit more margin for error, and I took some liberties in that area with this outfit, mostly because I was more eager for comfort than style.

What can I say? Even we fashionistas fall short sometimes. (Get it? Stumpified? Fall short? I'm hilarious.)


Get the look for yourself:
Shirt - Old Navy; similar here.
Skirt - Target; similar here.
Shoes - Payless, available here.
Necklace - Express; similar here.

4 comments:

  1. Why, you're wearing Wednesday's outfit upside down! Or am I upside down? Now I'm confused.

    The whole ensemble is marvelous. I like that the curvatures of the two parts of the necklace bracket the curvature of the neckline of the shirt. Also, to me it seems both the hanging part of the sash and the buttons of the shirt elongate the outfit, perhaps compensating for the stumpifying effects of other elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumpify! Fall short! And it's FALL now too. You ARE hilarious. Loving the blue and green this week. :) Bren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maurice the Impatient GiraffeOctober 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM

    I BET YOU WORE CLOTHING TODAY AND IF SO WHAT WERE THEY?!?!

    ReplyDelete