Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Do Your Pants Fit?

Okay, first of all, Maurice's comment on the last post may be my new favorite quote of the moment:

"OMG PRAY WHAT DID YOU WEAR TODAY AND WITH WHAT ACCOUTREMENTS?"

Partially I love this comment because the shouty all-caps gave a tremendous sense of urgency to something pretty non-urgent, and partially I love this comment because the word "accoutrements" is not used nearly often enough by most of the populace. (If you don't know what it means, look it up!)

Sorry that I missed posting yesterday, but I could barely stay awake through the end of Monday Night Football, so my mental capacity for writing about my clothes was at zero. Now, however, I'm back and a little (*little*) better rested, so let's talk about Monday's outfit, shall we?


My "Pinspired" outfit worked much better in photos than real life, and this outfit, to me, was basically the opposite. In photos I don't think it looks all that great - nor does it look bad - but I liked how it looked better when it wasn't just posed and sitting still.


  
One of the big problems with seeing the outfit immobile is that it becomes painfully obvious that the pants are not the right size for me. How do I know that? (And, by extension, how can you know if your pants aren't fitting right?) Obviously the first step is that they feel a little too tight around the waist, but you wouldn't know that. The visual give-away is the "whiskering" around the zipper closure and at the side seams. See those "whisker" lines? That means the fabric is pulling in a way it wasn't meant to pull, which means it doesn't fit right. In my case, this is because I've gained weight since I bought the pants, but I know that sometimes, finding that pair of pants you want is so exciting that you compromise on the fit, and it's just not a good idea.



All that negative stuff said, I do love this top, which I recently purchased at New York and Company. The color is a rich cranberry, and the material is very comfortable and airy. The cranberry pairs well with the medium gray of the pants, and the pinstripes in the pants keep the outfit more interesting than if I'd opted for two solids together. The shoes are a low black heel with a small bow detail, and the necklace was a Malawi purchase which, sadly, died later in the day (read: the string broke and beads went EVERYWHERE).


Get the look for yourself:
Shirt - New York and Company, available here.
Pants - Express; similar here.
Shoes - Target; similar here.
Necklace - Malawi street vendor; similar here.

2 comments:

  1. Pinstripes and I are on diplomatic relations at best, as you might guess. Horizontal or even diagonal stripes, however, are a win! The highlights of my outfit today were the three ties with a barber-shop pole pattern in muave and maroon and tastefully understated matte black suspenders (with matching suspender extenders).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this from today, Miss Doyle!

    ReplyDelete