Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Red Shoes

I'm a big believer in the "pop of color" concept in my outfits. Sticking mostly with neutrals - especially black and white, which is a classic combo - can sometimes seem too boring without some bright spot to liven it up. The easiest way to do a pop of color is usually with the shoes or the purse; if you want a heavier "pop," you can do both shoes and purse. (I hear you all gasping in amazement.) Other accessories you can use to add color to an outfit include scarves, hats, and belts. In my case, I stuck with the shoes:



In addition to the pop of color in the ballet flats, you can see the balance concept I'm often talking about, since I've paired a loose blouse with skinny black pants. Since, as I mentioned, neutral-only clothes have the potential to seem somewhat "blah," I like the interesting pattern on the shirt to keep it fresh and chic.



I decided to go ahead and add a little more color in some dangly earrings (which I now realize aren't visible in any of the pictures), but I kept the rest of my jewelry pretty simple - you don't want to overdo the pop. The bracelet is a leather wrap cuff and the necklace is a gold owl charm.


What do you think of "popping" color into a bland outfit?


Get the look for yourself:
Shirt - The Limited; similar here.
Pants - The Gap, available here.
Shoes - Payless; similar here.
Earrings - New York and Company, available here.
Necklace -New York and Company, on clearance; similar here.
Bracelet -Street vendor; similar here.

1 comments:

  1. I like the pop and I love your color choice.

    -CEA

    ReplyDelete