Sunday, July 14, 2013

January. JANUARY?!

Wow, y'all. I didn't realize quite how bad it had gotten. I haven't updated the blog since JANUARY. Sigh.

Well, every school year, I set new goals for myself, and I will add "Be better about keeping up with the blog" to my list for 2013-2014. I will try to be more reasonable about not expecting myself to update daily, and I will try to force myself to do a quick update (at least) once a week. Feel free to hold me accountable.

All of that to say, we are turning back the clocks (and calendars) to January 28-30. (No, I'm not going to try to do too many outfits all at once here. Just a few at a time.)

January 28:



This shirt was a great purchase for my wardrobe. It is part-trendy and part-classic. The mint green and navy blue combination is a bit of a trend right now, as are the polka dots, but I have nothing against picking up trends (I talked about trends here). However, a collared button-down blouse is a classic wardrobe piece, and these colors, while currently more "hot" than they might be at other times, they'll never be explicitly UNfashionable.

I paired the blouse with a navy cardigan, keeping in line with the mint+navy color combo, and neutral pants (white skinnies). Because the collared blouse and clean-cut pants kept the outfit looking appropriately neat and professional, I opted for casual navy loafers instead of dressier shoes.

Overall, I was very happy with this outfit. It's pretty similar to this one, which I also loved, so I think I've found another "formula" that works for me. ("Formulas" = types of clothing pieces that you really like when paired together. For example, I love the "skinnies+boots" formula, as should be obvious in this blog.)

January 29:



Oh, look! Skinnies and boots! While the bottom half of this outfit is completely unsurprising and old-news for us here on this blog, there are a couple things I really like about the top half. The blouse under the sweater adds a nice spot of color near my face, the multi-strand necklace elongates the neckline, and the flower pin makes the sweater more interesting and more dressy. I actually really liked using that flower there, and I think I need to start considering pins/brooches more often as a way to accessorize plain tops in my outfits.

January 30:


 
While I do like this outfit, there isn't really anything all that interesting about it for the purposes of blogging. One thing I will say is that satiny jewel-toned shirts are a must have for a lady's wardrobe. Not too many, but a few great pieces really add class to any outfit.

On that note, here are some great tops I've found online recently:

 1. The Limited - available here
2. Kohl's - available here
3. Etsy - available here
4. Kohl's - available here

----------------------------------

Now leave a comment and tell me how much you've missed Daily Dress-Up!

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Hallelujah! You have been sorely missed. I can't believe it's been so long either, and I can't stop thinking one word: MINT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO WAY! I have the shirt you wore on January 30 in purple. And without knowing you actually had that shirt, I wore mine on Teacher Dress Up Day when I dressed as you. What are the chances!? Anyways, glad the blog is back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Doyle! Welcome back to blogland! Impromptu hiatus' (oh gosh, not positive how to pluralize that word and you're an English teacher eek) totally happen. Like me, for the month of May! I think the key is to set realistic goals for yourself (i.e. a quick post, even if once a week) to make sure you keep enjoying it!

    I am glad you've kept a record of your outfits though- such a great way to keep track of what you like/love/don't like!

    I'm a huge fan of the neutral 2nd look. Who knows what random accessories we have laying around that can totally make an outfit?! That's a constant challenge to myself! Good to have you back!


    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete