Friday, July 19, 2013

Keep on Keeping Up

Not falling down on the job yet, folks! Let's look at some February outfits, shall we?

February 4:




This is the most basic and straightforward way to "winterize" a summer dress: Add a long-sleeved shirt and leggings underneath it, and pair it all with boots. This dress is a particularly good one for adapting to winter because the colors are a bit darker/richer, with the deep blue and black trim. (Dresses with particularly bright, "sunny" colors are harder to wear in the winter, even paired with longer clothes underneath.) Overall, I enjoyed this look.

February 5:



This outfit, on the other hand, was a bit of a failure. It has some good elements, mostly in the colors, but it also has some problems. First, the white tee under the sweater has the wrong neckline; the sweater neckline really should be the uppermost line, because it's already somewhat high, and it has an interesting line to it anyway. If I were going to wear something underneath, it should have been a deeper V-neck to hide beneath the sweater.

Second, where is the necklace? Three really should be a long necklace here (or even two or three giving multiple strands) to visually add to the block color of the sweater. Without some kind of line to break it up, that color is a bit overwhelming, even though it is a nice burnt orange.

Lastly, the whole appearance is a bit trashed by the super-casual sneakers. Some nice brown boots would have been a much better choice, given that I'm a teacher, not a student, and am therefore supposed to look a bit more professional.

Sad, but true - this outfit just did NOT work.

February 6:



Okay, I know, I look like a waiter. Still, though, I kind of liked this look. It was... weird, funky, not "usual," and sometimes that is fun. It's definitely the kind of thing I can understand others disliking, but I don't really dress for them, so too bad!

February 8:




I like this one, but I wouldn't say I love it. It's just... skinnies and boots, like usual. When I see outfits like this, I think, "Why do I have a fashion blog? I wear the same thing all the time, just in slightly different versions..."

Why do I have this blog? What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. You have this blog because you love fashion and you want to share your fun and your wisdom with the rest of us. Maybe. I don't want to put words in your mouth. It's a pastime you love and it has become one of mine as a viewer. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tie look is awesome. A tie is cool if you want, but not if you are forced, to wear one. A tie under an open-necked sweater or cardigan might be super edgy.

    I also like the white T-shirt under the red sweater. It works well with the white and black sneakers. The white T and sneakers together give a sneaky casual twist to a somewhat staid base.

    Why do you have this blog? To remind me to get a copy of Infinite Jest so I can reread that brilliant book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to comment on this one a couple times already...so if those other ones ever do appear, I apologize!

    I love the first look especially, it's a great formula for turning a summer dress into a winter look!

    And on the why blog comment: if at the very least, just for yourself, because it makes an excellent record of what you like/don't like/what works for you!

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete