Sunday, February 2, 2014

Self-Improvement

Well, many of you who chat with me on a regular basis know that I've been on a self-improvement kick lately, and it's going quite well. I've been adding to the self-improvement piece by piece since the beginning of January: First, I started reading at least one chapter of the Bible every night. No mandatory order in which to read, so whatever I want/need that night is fine. I haven't missed a night since I started.

The next step was to brush and floss my teeth every single night. I've missed only one night since I started that one.

Then I started a new food plan. I bought 28 days' worth of lunches and dinners in one bulk shipment from Personal Trainer Food; each lunch/dinner is one kind of protein and one kind of vegetable, and I can supplement with some healthy carbs (in moderation) as I want. I have to say, the food is honestly REALLY tasty, so it is totally not a hardship to be eating it. It's also SO easy, because I just grab a protein (like teriyaki chicken, angus burger patty, or meatballs), a veggie (like broccoli florets, green beans, asparagus, of any number of veggie blends), and maybe some type of carb (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, or these awesome low-carb whole wheat tortillas I found) and toss it in my lunchbox to take to school. It microwaves in less than five minutes and I am good to go. Same thing for dinner. And since it's frozen, it stays good if I decide to eat something different, like if I want to go out with friends or something. This plan has me eating SO MUCH HEALTHIER than I was before (when I pretty much lived on fast food), and that has me doing a lot of healthier things. I went for a walk to the grocery store instead of driving last weekend, I snack less, I drink more water, etc. It's awesome.

[EDITED TO ADD: If you are interested in maybe trying out this plan (and I really do highly recommend it), please let me know! I can give you a link to use that will give YOU a discount and ME a referral bonus!]

Then I started using actual dishes instead of disposable ones at my house, and I made a promise not to let them pile up but to actually wash them on a regular basis. And my sink currently has not a dish in it; there are clean ones drying in the drainer.

And from the beginning of the semester I've been working on forcing myself to work diligently so as not to fall behind on planning and grading. As of today, I am ahead of the grading schedule I set for myself.

So now, I'm gonna see if I can start improving myself as a blogger. Because let's be honest, this blogger needs improving. One of the big improvements I'd like to do is not to do huge catch-up posts anymore. Especially now, looking back to previous posts, I don't like having to look at 8 different outfits in one post if I'm looking for one piece or look that I remember. I don't like that the tags don't really help with anything since one post might have tags for 8 different outfits in one. I also don't like having to see the failed outfit choices mixed in with the good ones; I'd rather look at the bad ones when I want to critique or learn from my mistakes, and look at the good ones when I want to feel good about my fashion sense. So one at a time.

Of course, doing just one at a time means I have to keep up well enough that I won't need to catch up all at once. But I can do it if I set my mind to it: Look at everything I've already done.

So for today, let's choose arbitrarily from the myriad outfits I've worn since the last post and see what we have:





I bought this skirt at a second-hand store in Los Gatos and I love it. I decided since it was winter (and therefore more appropriate for darker colors) and since I wanted to highlight the pretty sage color that I would wear simple black pieces with it. A classic black cardigan (with a white camisole), black patterned tights, and black boots gave a nice backdrop for the skirt, and a multi-strand necklace and small cuff bracelet finished off the look.

So what do you think? Self-improvement blogging: Yay or Nay?

4 comments:

  1. yay!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJM4UhbQ7A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miss Doyle! sounds like you've made some impressive progress with your goals, nice work! flossing every night is always a goal of mine, but it's really more like every few days :/ I should get better at that.

    I say yay for self-improvement blogging! I look at blogging like I look at journaling (like my mom told me way back in the day when I started journaling): even if you do it once a week, or twice a month, it will still be nice to go back and see! I would say try a goal like "blogging your favorite look of the week" and see where that gets you.

    love the skirt! pretty pleated skirts like that have been my favorite lately. I wonder what the silhouette would be like if you tucked in the sweater/tried a pretty blouse (when it's warm enough?) just an idea. hope you are well!

    ♥ perfectly PRIYA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to be better about flossing my teeth. Good job on all your self-improving! That's amazing!

    http://kacieskloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for making this site very interesting! Keep going! You're doing very well
    daily dresses

    ReplyDelete